Powered By Blogger

Thursday 2 March 2017

The saddest news



                       -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                       -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I know that you will all be aware of the horribly sad news that came to us yesterday, that our President John Hampshire  had passed away.

To many he was the cricketer who became the first batsman to score a century on his test debut.

To many he was the Yorkshire captain  ( 1979-1980) a time in Yorkshire cricket history that is well documented

To others he was an umpire, Domestic, Test and International

To me, (and probably all that had contact with him) he was not only the above, but the loveliest man to boot.

I feel very privileged to have been in company with him and his wife last season ( usually with President of Middlesex and the First lady). A nicer couple you could not have wanted  to meet.

He often wandered over to talk to me and said he could always spot me in a ground!

That little way of making you feel known. and not just a face in the crowd!!!

To take the time to speak to me always made me feel very honoured and I will always remember this.

I watched him as he posed for pictures, talked to everyone and signed autographs, no matter that he was not well  himself, he took his duties very seriously.

To me he embodied everything that was Yorkshire.

All the  more reason now to make this a great season.

I really am very saddened by the news and will keep this short.

Thoughts and prayers are with all of the  family.


RIP John, it was great honour to have met you.


                       -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                       -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------





No comments :