Powered By Blogger

Thursday 20 October 2016

A taste of vegan






I cook..................yes I cook and I cook a lot, I am not one of those people who relies on 'ready meals' or 'takeaways'. I cook from scratch and batch cook and, well just cook. It may seem old fashioned or outdated to some.

I get into the kitchen and create.


Now long before I became a vegan, I made my own coleslaw, with red cabbage, carrot and onion and a chilli thrown in for good measure.

The reason I made my own was due to commercially bought coleslaw was always 'swimming' with 'gunk' AKA mayonnaise

So once I went vegan this was a regular for me to make ( with vegan mayo).

And then I hit on a variation of this humble side dish, to upgrade it to a lunch dish.

and here is the recipe ( although no 'real' cooking involved)

 Satay Noddle Coleslaw

Red cabbage ( I use half )

Carrots ( as many as it takes to equal the  quantities with cabbage)

Spring onions ( I use 2-3 as I am not an 'onion'person you can also use a red onion instead).

Half a red chilli. ( or a whole one if you want your head blown off)

1/2 Pack of instant noodles ( NOT EGG!!! check the label) cooked in water.
OR
Soba noodles ( which I prefer)

Dressing

Soy sauce
Grated ginger
Dash lime juice
2 heaped  tsp peanut butter


How to...

In a food processer grate the cabbage, carrots and onion.

Finely chop the chilli and add to the cabbage mix.

Meanwhile cook noodles as directed. allow to cool

Mix grated ginger in to the soy sauce and lime juice. in a jar/container with lid. leave for about an hour.

Then add the  peanut butter and   shake, vigorously, until the peanut butter has broken up and mixed in with the soy sauce.

Mix noodles with the cabbage mix.

pour over the sauce and munch away.

I use chop sticks it takes longer to eat!


This may not be fine dining, but it is healthy and filling.

If you want to add to this you can use smoked tofu which will add protein to the mix.

I have also had  this with falafel and chick pea patties.

Its a great dish and quick and easy to make.

Now is there any cricket stuff?


Ah yes I am listening to TMS  as England are in action, the score is currently...........well waiting for the review........................

OK  it's  79-3

I think the recipe is the best thing about this morning!!!!


No comments :