Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 6 July 2016

A surprise gift!




Well it was back to the office yesterday, complete with overflowing 'in' tray and a desk full of 'stuff', how do they generate so much work when I am not there but  struggle when I am, its a mystery!

I  then had to race on down to a village outside of Darlington after work, to collect some unwanted cricket  equipment, which I would be passing on to anyone who could make use of it.

The lady who answered the door was very lovely and we got chatting ( as you do), I returned home with a bag full of pads and gloves and another bag of 'proper cable knit sweaters', which had belonged  to her uncle

now you all know my love of a proper cricket jumper!

well there was a story behind these jumpers and  by bedtime I had also learned that some of my friends knew the gentleman who had worn the jumpers.

These jumpers belonged to a Barbadian  cricketer named Roy Marshall. Roy made his  FC cricket debut aged 15, and then went onto play 4 tests for The West Indies.

He moved to England and qualified to play for Hampshire  and captained the side from 1966-1970

In 1959 he was named Wisden Cricketer of the Year.

He lived in Taunton until his death in 1992.  and had been involved in cricket at Somerset.

El Presidenti of Middx CCC knew Roy and also one of my other friends from Merchant Taylors school who said that he took his first cricket photo at Canterbury and it was of Roy!

What a very small world and more to the point, what a very kind gesture.
I will treasure these jumpers as they were a very kind and unexpected gift.


When I came home I  had a chat with the lovely Paula, wife of the organiser  of Rally for Heroes, ( I see him some mornings as he races past me in his car]
They are a charity who help to raise money  by organising rallies in England and mainland Europe.
in 2010 they raised £32,000 for Help for Heroes,
2012 they raised £123,000 split between Help for Heroes and  The Royal British Legion
2014 they raised £104,000 for SSAFA

In August this year they are back in  Europe to raise more money.

This Sunday they are at Croft ( near Darlington) so if you can pop down and show your support to a very worthwhile charity, it would be great.

check out their website

www.rallyforheroes.com

You might even get to see the car with the really cool number plate!!!


And now for the cricket news................phew! bet you thought I had forgotten!

Over in Scarbados, Middlesex were batting and Steve Eskinazi was showing no signs of heading back to the pavilion, he hit 157 before Brooks finally took his wicket.
At stumps they were 470-8, which means that this morning I expect a wicket first ball ( preferably Murtagh)

Brooks took 5 wickets, Rhodes took 2 and teeny tiny kiwi Williamson took 1.


#COYT

well after this epic blog I think that it is time for me to head off to the heady heights of Lady  Laineyworkville.

I know where I would prefer to be!


No comments :