Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 3 December 2014

Frosty Wednesday, Farewell to Phil



It's the middle of the week and it really is getting closer to the end of the year  ( so I had better start getting my review of the year done!), my thoughts are turning to holiday and for the first time in years I am not planning a jaunt abroad. I have decided to dedicate my summer hols to  cricket, which means that I  get to go away and see more of 'my boys' in action.

This may not be the same as swilling gallons of wine back home in La Belle France, but one year will not hurt and I am planning to hopefully have a jaunt to warmer climes Xmas 2015.  Oh yes I think I need to go back to the Lady like ways of spending Christmas day on the beach sunbathing and swimming. Well that's the plan and I am hoping to make it a reality.

In reality today is cold and frosty and I am thinking that winter is well and truly here. However it won't be long until the cricket season!!!

All cricket news is suspended today  to honour the memory of Phil Hughes who was laid to rest earlier this morning in Australia. I read through very tearful eyes about the funeral and the guest list. I can honestly say that the outpouring of grief and respect for Phil is heartbreaking, but heart warming at the same time.

The public have finally seen the 'other' side of Michael Clarke who has struggled through press conferences, tearful and speaking with raw emotion about a friend and fellow player. I doubt that anyone who had a dislike of him previously will now ever feel that way about him again.

The Australian team which has struggled to find form of late ( like England but not quite so bad!), have taken this very badly. A young man losing his life playing the game that he loved. I hope however that they will now move forward and play with more purpose.
Who will ever forget Ashton Agars highest number 11 score  of 98  at Trent Bridge in 2013 when he was partnered by Phil who scored 81 no. That was amazing cricket.

And so on a sad note, I will sign of and head off to the office.

RIP Phillip Hughes.




No comments :