Powered By Blogger

Sunday 28 September 2014

Tales from the fence (2014 round up)


April arrived finally and I was in a tiara twirling tizzy as I was busy rustling up prizes for Chris Rushworth’s ‘Talk in with Harmy and Siddy’ evening which was to take place the evening before the Durham V Yorkshire match next Month. I was also in ‘negotitations’ with his Royal Ryanness re his attending., and all was looking good for the evening.

 I put my predictions down on paper ( scarily true too!) ‘Lady Laineys expert Analysis’ 5/4/14.

I had gone to to see former besty home county of Durham play against University side and also to catch up with my friend ‘Mr Grumpy’ and his furry sidekick, and the lovely Henry Rushworth.

Then I jetted off to La Belle France for some R & R and lots of sunshine. I was keeping an eye on all things cricket and getting regular updates!
I arrived back in the UK just before April ended and went into over drive to for Chris Rushworths charity evening
We also were all stunned as a family by shock news about Dame Didi.

May
Woohoo May meant only one thing!!! My two cricket teams fighting it out and his Royal Ryanness doing a turn for Chris Rushworth. I had organised it all with him and then was panicking on the night of the event, so much that I hardly spoke a word………….yes really!!!!
What a top boy though, agreed to come and do the chat for Pies and peas!!! However I knew what he really liked, and some ‘Percy Pigs’ were acquired ( and a few decent bottles of red)

I did get a HUGE hug and kiss from the man himself. ( and then sat in the corner very flustered!) and also got a signed Yorkshire top.(kindly donated to moi by a Durham supporter who won it in the raffle!!! )


And then the next day war was declared! Mr Grumpy Aka Daddy Rushworth and the furry sidekick AKA Pasha and the Lovely Henry were fed and watered as hostilities were abandoned  for coffee, sausage rolls and cake and banana plus treats for Pasha.
I was trying to sit on the fence but sadly I was swaying more to one side than the other. I am a Tykey Princess after all!!!! Result was a draw as rain affected the last day!

Durham were away most of the month and I took a trip down to Nottinghamshire to see them play and also to catch up with old Notts players and besty friends Harry (H) Latchman and Mike (pasty) Harris. Mike was celebrating his birthday so I managed to get a room for the night and had a couple of sherry shandies!
Also spotted a pic of Ryan when I was hobnobbing in the Notts committee room (yes blagged my way in there with Harry!).


News came through that His Royal Ryanness had a hamstring injury, he did go back into bat and then it was annouced that he was going to be scanned and wouldn't play for a week or two

June
Hurrah it is summer, so umbrellas were the order of the day at any cricket match that we attended.
 His Royal Ryanness was still on the injury list and I was getting jolly flipping worried! And Yorkshire were not issuing updates!!!
WTF!!
 I was in a fair old tizzy. Mr Funky the chauffeur and Daddy Rushworth did not make me feel any better with tales of injured fetlocks meaning instant 'putting to sleep' Had my worried face on a lot.

Durham took on Middlesex and were playing jolly well.

Yorkshire took on Northants and flipping well squidged them ( technical cricket term). Picking up 19 points along the way!
I also took up new employment as a wine advisor, how very apt!!!

'Freddie' Flintoff announced that he was making a comeback for Lancashire ( see end of this blog). Oh joy!!!
he didn't play in the 'Roses' match though and Yorkshire stuffed them.( I know all the technical terms where cricket is concerned)

Durham took on Warwickshire, and then trundled off to Worcestershire to have a game. Jack Shantry hopefully didn't bowl commando as has been reported!.




Chris Rushworth was in his 6th month of going dry and doing brilliantly.

Rain didn't help cricket but Yorkshire were creeping up the table and Durham were sliding down it!
Mid month Chris Rushworth's 4-45 helped them move up to 6th place.
His Royal Ryanness came back to the game and started taking wickets which brought his first class haul up to 632 (22/6/14)
Fence sitting was giving me a very numb bum!

July
Durham were in T20 action against My Tykes at Headingley, I couldn't go but Daddy Rushworth sent me some pictures to keep me happy.
I packed my bags a few days later and toddled of to Headingley were I nigh on slept on the hallowed turf, yes I was in the Headlingley Lodge for the Yorkshire V Durham return match. What a cracking room and what a cracking view.
It was however the 'Boycott' room complete with photo of Geoff on the wall by the bed, needless to say I put a towel over it, bit scary having him watch me undress!




Daddy Rushworth was made welcome at ‘my gaff’ and we would retire to watch the cricket from indoors whilst supping coffee and scoffing biccies! Sometimes we even sat on the boundary,



Result of the local derby? Match was drawn!


Raced home on Thursday evening to be ready for the T20 match on the friday evening, Durham v Yorkshire/ Yorks won and HRR took wickets. Result!!!


However mid month I had to a ‘bit of a shock’ and was referred to hospital, a week of worry and feeling very sick and sorry for myself, eventually after hours in the hospital, numerous test, scans etc I was declared ‘OK’.
Obviously they had not scanned my brain!

This was my first of two hospital visits before the season was out!

The weekend of July 19th/20th I took off to Scarbella to see my Tykes in action against Middx, I booked in to super swanky hotel and got upgraded to a suite!!!. ( Due to originally being allocated a room on a floor full of cricketers??!!! make of that what you will???!!!)


Lord Christophe, eldest monster child nephew, drove over and spent the day with his besty most beautiful auntie in the whole flipping world and we had a great day together. He went home to go out partying with his mates to celebrate his birthday the next day.

I got up the next day feeling not too well, ( no wine involved). I had to go home!!! Can you believe it, I was soooooooooooo poorly that I missed his Royal Ryanness taking 7 flipping wickets! I had already pre ordered them and then was not able to see it happen. His FC wicket haul was creeping up nicely.




By the end of the month I was back in hospital, with the temperature spiking, heart palpitating, scary Pericardtis thing again. Second season running I have been hit by this and second time I have been hospitalised with it. Flipping thing!!! I was allowed home late the next day but spent the remainder of the week in bed, luckily I was not planning on going to cricket as both teams were away. PHEWWWW!!!

August Saw me back on my feet and trying to regain some sense of wellness, it also saw me planning another jaunt to Scarbella, well sea air is good for you isn’t it???


I was lucky enough to meet and chat to Jack Russell at the Scarborough ground whilst looking at his wonderful paintings. He had one of my favourite ground, Northlands Road, Southampton, which sadly is no more, it is a housing estate!!!

I got to walk to the ground every morning through Peaseholm park, beautiful.

Yorkshire pulled off a brilliant win against Sussex and I was a happy bunny ( however not quite fit enough to hop around!)
Durham were struggling in the relegation zone and I was having nightmares about them going down to Division 2!!! They had to start to show champion form???
Yorkshire meanwhile were on the rampage to get their hands on the ‘goodies’ ( The Championship Trophy) but anything could happen in the next few weeks and I was trying not to dwell on them as champions, just wanting them to win some games.
Quarter finals of One Day Cup took place and I hot footed to to Headingley to see Durham and Yorkshire fight it out. A great day, and a great match,and I was kept company by Daddy Rushworth. Durham won and semis were calling. The draw came later and HURRAH it was at The Riverside!!!

September
So it was the last month of cricket and Durham were playing One Day Cup match to get to the finals. Yeeeaahhhh!! they won and we were all busy trying to sort out getting to Lords with only two weeks notice!!. Excitement was the flavour of the start of the month.

It was also hotting up as Yorkshire were top of the table and I was getting very jittery about them winning.

On 12/9/14 Yorkshire beat Nottinghamshire and became the county champions, I sat in super swanky Lady lainey office and cried and cried for over half an hour. I then came home watched the recorded days play, drank copious amounts of wine and fell asleep on the sofa! What a flipping year!!

Top effort from the boys, top coaching from Gillespie the Gallant who has turned the team around! long may he stay!


Durham pulled themselves out of the relegation zone and Chris Rushworth took 15 wickets in the match against Northamptonshire, flipping brilliant!!!


We all headed off to Lords and ….....Woooohoooo Durham pulled off a blinding win against Warwickshire which once again had Lady lainey in floods of tears! What a great day!




Late September I  headed off to Headingley for the last days play of the season and saw His Royal Ryanness take 2 wickets bringing his first class wicket haul to 664. It would have been good if t had been 666!!! 
Hampshire won the second Division title as I predicted, and Lancashire were relegated! The Flintoff factor did not seem to have had the desired effect!

Champagne moment
Well it has to be shared, Yorkshire winning the County Championship and Durham winning the one day cup.
What more can I say!! top teams.

 You see I can sit on the fence sometime!!!! Now I  have a few months to get the feeling back in my ample backside!


2014 what a year!!!!





And my yet to be published book 'Cricketers Posteriors'?

filling up a nicely with new piccies!



No comments :