Powered By Blogger

Monday 6 May 2013

Sunny day, cricket play, what to say????








.................I can sum it up in two words, THEY LOST!. Yes both of the teams lost. Besty home county of Yorkshire and former besty home county of Durham.

Yorkshire were beaten by Glamorgan by 28 runs. Glamorgan went in to bat and reached 285-7  with their 40 overs.  Yorkshire went in and lost Phil Jaques and Joe Root in very quick succession. slumping to 1-2 Not a good score and I can tell you seeing this on Twitter whilst watching Durham Dinosaurs did not help with the palpitations I had been suffering since his Royal Ryanness had been doing his stretching exercises in front of me at Chester le Street last week. ................ anyhoo Andrew Gale, Jonny Bairstow and  Gary Ballance all hit 50's which was super brilliant on my scorecard ( no I DO NOT actually keep a scorecard) however wickets tumbled quickly and my Tykey Vikings lost. #ontothenextmatch #headsheldhigh.

So over to the Riverside Ground. Mr Funky the Chauffeur came to pick me up and we then went to pick up Pauly Paul!! And off we went along the A167 singing ... well no we weren't actually singing but talking.

We arrived at the ground in time to see Durham doing some warm up exercises and then the fun began. Sky were showing this live on the television and the camera man kept filming us. Now as you will all know I am very much the shy and retiring type and was trying to avoid being seen.( actually didn't want my Vikings to know I was watching the opposition).
Essex won the toss and elected to field. Durham went in to huge cheers from the crowd ( or was it their resident cheerleaders who sit by the stairs?). However they were soon walking back to the pavilion. Mustard and Stoneman making 11 & 18. Stokes put on 51  even though he got hit in the 'box' and had to have a little sit down. Mr Funky the chauffeur told me when I asked that there is not such thing as TBW ( tiddler before wicket). Quill to paper to MCC as we speak.

By tea ( which we had actually eaten throughout Durhams innings)I Lady Lainey was not sure which way this was going to swing. Now in the former life of Lady Lainey when I lived in London and the former Lord Lainey was not even on the horizon, I used to motor off to Chelmsford to see Essex play. ( well I use to go to ogle Ronnie Irani). So I was interested to see how they got on.
Well they got on jolly well and although the run rate was up and down like a lady of the nights underwear, they won by 4 wickets, putting on 212 in 39 overs.

We all got into the big blue tank thing and conducted the post mortem on the way home.
However a lovely afternoon in the sunshine and we all got a little bit of tan on our faces!

So today I am donning my Sheffield United beanie hat and singing 'The Greasy Chip Butty Song' in support of their match this afternoon. #COYB

Just in case you want to join in the words are as follows and the tune is 'Annies Song'

You fill up my senses
Like a gallon of Magnet
Like a packet of Woodbines
Like a good pinch of snuff
Like a night out in Sheffield
Like a greasy chip butty
Like Sheffield United
Come fill me again....
Na Na Na Naa Naa Naaaaa, ooo!



No comments :